5.16.2012

A big EGG

David and I did't even wait 24 hours before sharing the news that we were expecting with our families.  It just couldn't wait!!  I am a compulsive planner, so materials and creative thought had already gone into the reveal.  

Here were the plans and reactions:

My family
I had searched 3 stores for a big egg.  An Easter egg large enough to contain a big important announcement.  Thank you Hobby Lobby!  We  hid placed the eggs in the living room along with all the other hidden the night before intended for Juliet and Corinne to find.  Daddy was behind the video camera.  It took awhile for the girls to notice the abnormal egg, and when they did the note had absolutely no draw (it wasn't candy!).  They handed the note to Dominic, who read it...smiled...then passed it to Dawn.  The note was then silently passed around the room!!  Not exactly the reaction we had expected...but apparently everyone was in shock.  The lack of visible excitement should have been anticipated, when it comes to emotional expression I am the exception with the rest of the family possessing a more reserved and practical nature.  Even without screams and cheers- it was wonderful and I would not change a thing.

His family
After breakfast with my family, we were scheduled to have breakfast #2 with David's parents, as well as his sister Jenny, her husband Brandon, and their little girl Bailey.  One thing must be clear- David's parents LOVE our dog, Baxter.  If we come over without him, they are disappointed and every time he is over the FIRST thing they do is love on him.  So it made perfect sense to have Baxter deliver the good news.  I made him a 'Big Brother Bandana' (again, thanks Hobby Lobby!) and assumed it would be the first thing they noticed.  Nope.  The first glitch was Baxter immediately wanted to go outside in the backyard.  When he finally came back in and settled down, everyone was very busy- conversations, cooking, you name it.  I'm not sure how, but a few minutes later we all migrated to the kitchen for Happy Easter greetings and hugs...David finally said, "Read his bandana!"  Still some confusion.  Again David, "Danielle's PREGNANT!"  Well then there were major hugs and tears and phone calls to Stephanie, Ben and Olivia (David's sister and family in Lawrence).  It too was perfect.

David
I had lofty plans on how to tell David, none of which actualized.  How it did go down was pretty classic.  All night I had debated about taking a pregnancy test.  I have had my fair share of negative results.  I knew it would ruin my mood and put a damper on the day and so considered waiting till Monday and going to do a blood test at the doctor.  I have no restraint.  I got up before David and took the test.  Could not believe it.  Literally did not believe  what I was seeing.  I walked back into our bedroom and told a still sleeping David that he needed to go in the bathroom.  He audibly groaned,a 'this is really irritating, I am trying to sleep' groan.  He mumbled, "Is it a bug?" as he rounded the corner.  "Danielle, I don't see anything"  came his frustrated response.  I'm was seated frozen on the bed, not speaking.  A few seconds later he came into the doorway with eyes wide, "Is that 2 lines??"  I told him I wasn't sure...and he said, "Danielle, that's 2 lines!!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment