This morning, I was home to feed the kids breakfast and start our morning routine. My mom was there to help, in fact she had stayed the night so that I wasn't alone with David being at the hospital. Mom's are the best. Around 8:00 I gathered some new books and food for Betsy and headed to the hospital. I was anxious to relieve David and see my sweet girl.
David had called at 4:00 in the morning to tell me that they were coming to draw Betsy's blood at 5:00. Not what I wanted to hear. I questioned him about why that was necessary in the first place, and if it was- why they couldn't take it after she wakes up. Poor guy, nothing like dealing with your upset wife at 4 am over something you have no control over. He asked the nurse, and they needed blood levels before the doctors did rounds at 7:00 and the information may help determine if she could start food. So he was support for our little girl while she got woken up to have her blood drawn. He said it took almost two hours to get calmed down and go back to sleep :(
I arrived and the two of them were in good spirits. The doctor had given us the green light to start food and I wasted no time giving her some yogurt. That child LOVES yogurt. It made her so happy and we were thrilled to see that she had an appetite. Next, David told me that the doctor had said we may get to go home. Oh my gosh, I cried. It was the absolute best news. Obviously we had to make sure she tolerated food and pooped ok (sorry, TMI, but poop is important!) I honestly don't know what David said to the doctor to allow for the possibility of leaving. The doctor was firm on 2 nights when I asked him...but whatever it was, I am so thankful!! We have found you really have to be an advocate for your care in the hospital and he was such a strong voice for Betsy.
David left to visit Dane and Estelle at home then went to work. Betsy and I played and read books and ate. Oh my, the girl dominated her lunch! Around 1:00 we saw the hospitalist that confirmed we would get to leave! Betsy was doing great and she could take her antibiotics at home- so we were set to be discharged! David came to pick us up and we had Betsy in her bed at home and napping by 2:30. It was just the most beautiful thing.
Betsy was happy to be home. She slept about 2.5 hours and woke up ready for a snack and eager to play with her brother and sister. Our afternoon and evening went along as normal. It felt so great to just be home. We would welcome a whole lot of normal (boring even) from here on out.
We have a follow up on Thursday to removed the drain. I'm still not quite clear on why they didn't take it out today...but hey, we are home so I'm not complaining. Then in 2 weeks we go to have the staples removed. And then, we throw a huge celebration...Betsy's Button Party! I already have a Pin Board ;)
So happy to hear your sweet baby girl is doing so well! Prayers for you and your whole family! -Meghan Grayless
ReplyDelete