12.02.2012

Best Day Ever

Yesterday David and I had THE.BEST.DAY.EVER.  Sadly, it followed one of the worst.  Friday started out ok.  I had stayed the night at the hospital and was running on little sleep (evident by the 100 people who told me I looked tired!  Wanted to explain that dark circles run in my family and I need a tan...)  In the evening Betsy just happened to have a big spit up and an extremely high respiratory rate while Dr. J came by to check on the kids.  The doctor ordered a chest X-ray, a CBC and another echo.  She wanted to take a look at her lungs and rule out any sickness.  We were told the echo would show any persistent heart problems, particularly pulmonary hypertension and congestive heart failure.  I knew neither sounded good and exaggerated my worry by Googling both conditions.  Definitely severe complications and I had a pretty strong emotional response.  Clearly we didn't sleep well that night either.
  Jump to Saturday:
First thing we checked on Betsy, who was just finishing up her echo.  Since it was a weekend we had been warned the results may take awhile.  We go across the hall to check on the other two.  The discharge nurse comes in to check our progress on these educational videos you must watch and confirm we had taken infant CPR.  We are aware that Dane and Estelle are getting close to going home because they have been taking all their feedings.  Dr. J comes in and asks if it's alright to do Dane's circ (cool medical speak for circumcision) today.  Typically they are done within a week of discharge, and then she said they could go home Monday.  MONDAY!!!!!  Like, it was Saturday...so 2 days!!  I was in shock.  My mind immediately went to all the things we need to get ready.  If they saw the status of the nursery they wouldn't send them home!  Then she said, "Betsy's heart is fine."
BETSY'S HEART IS FINE.
Those were the most amazing words I have ever heard.  Her lungs just need more time.

A lot of facebook statuses claim it, but we legitimately had the best day ever.  The only negative is the thought of leaving Betsy at the hospital.  Not sure how we are going to get through that.

No comments:

Post a Comment